Monday, July 19

Shots!

Today I took Kate to get her shots for school. She's not starting Kindergarten yet, but I wasn't entirely clear about whether the preschool would require shots for five-year-olds or not and she won't turn five until after the school year begins. Anyway, I just thought we'd go ahead and get it over with. I told her we were going to get her check-up for school and when she asked if she would have to get shots - I lied. I told her I didn't know and that the doctor would tell us when we got there if she would. She seemed to be okay with this answer and I was relieved. So we went to the appointment and the nurse took us to the room and told us Kate would have to get three shots and then left to prepare the vaccinations. Kate was surprisingly brave! She teared up a little, but put on a very brave face while we waited. I had expected so much worse. You may be wondering why I'm making such a big deal about a few shots, but this is the same girl that took three nurses to talk her into and hold her down during a flu-mist administration - not the shot, the MIST! A little squirt in her nose! So, I fully expected the worst. She didn't cry until after the first shot was administered. Then she screamed. And that set Owen off. "Hurt Kate! That hurt Kate!" The tables had turned (Kate's been to more than her fair share of Owen's doctor appointments, although he is not usually in pain) and it was sweet to see Owen so distressed over his sister's well-being. I had to comfort them both at the same time. So they both screamed until it was over, and then they both got popsicles for their troubles. Then we went to the library to turn in their library summer reading sheets for free stuff and then to Kate's favorite place for lunch: Sonic! Afterward she got to go play with some of her best little friends for the afternoon. All in all, not a bad day.

No comments: