Thursday, July 12

Swim lessons

Well, we had our first swim lesson yesterday. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed afterward. Kate loved the water, which dissuaded my fear that she would inherit my aquaphobia. She even had a good time - for the first 15 minutes. Then she was looking for something else to do. I couldn't keep her entertained enough to enjoy it for 30 minutes. The problem was, we were in the big pool, so I had to hold her the whole time. Kate is way to independent (okay, THAT she did get from me) and active for me to hold her for 30 minutes. She could only kick and blow bubbles in the water for so long. She started fussing at me, wanting to play on the stairs, sit on the side, see what was going on in other parts of the pool - anything to get out of my arms. The teacher asked if Kate was getting cold, and I told her I thought she was just bored. I got an incredulous "Really??" reply. She didn't know what to say.

In short, I think the class would have been great for Kate this time last year. Maybe we'll get some water wings for next time and see if we can get her to do a little more on her own. She did start to blow bubbles in the water, which she wouldn't do before yesterday, so I don't think the time spent was a total waste. I'll keep you posted on our progress.

PS - I just realized I haven't posted any pictures in a while, so I'll try to do that next time.

No comments: